Tech Career Talk
Last night, NYC Digital hosted a Tech Career Talk: How to Get into NYC’s Fastest Growing Industry at eBay NYC’s office. Over 150 high school and college students from across the five boroughs attended to learn firsthand about the different roles in tech startups. The participating students were all from tech programs such as:
- NYC Generation Tech, which is a tech entrepreneurship program for high schoolers to learn basic coding knowledge
- Ladders for Leaders, a summer internship program run through the City’s Department of Youth and Community Development
- Brooklyn Tech Triangle internship program that includes students from the New York City College of Technology (CityTech) that are currently internship in Brooklyn based tech startups
- Summer Scholars, which is an internship program for high school students that are enrolled in Career and Technical Education (CTE) schools.
The event included short presentations from 8 different speakers on their jobs, daily tasks, the companies they work for and how they got into the tech sector. Following the talks, the students broke out into groups based on the job function and company they wanted to learn more about.
The speakers included variety of job functions and tech companies including:
- Katherine Barna, Head of Communications at Tumblr
- Kelly Halfin, Head of Business Intelligence at Livestream
- Christina Mercando, VP of Product at Hunch/Design and Product Manager at eBay
- Corey Neufville, Media Solutions Manager at Facebook NY
- Akshay Patil, Platform Lead at Foursquare
- James Queen, Business Development Lead at Spotify
- Callie Schweitzer, Director of Marketing and Communications at Vox Media
- Brian Watson, Analyst at Union Square Ventures
Thanks again to our hosts at eBayNYC, all our speakers and participants for making the event such a great success.
If you are interested in learning, launching or finding a job in the tech sector, visit wearemadeinny.com.